Itchy & Irritated: Veterinary Dermatology and Allergy Testing
When your beloved pet itches, oozes, or bleeds, you know that it’s time to see your veterinarian. Skin conditions are among the primary reasons pet owners bring their pets in for treatment, and it’s no wonder why. Not only are skin problems irritating, uncomfortable, and sometimes gross, but also they can be symptomatic that a more serious condition is festering just beneath the surface.
At Statesboro Bulloch Regional Veterinary Hospital, we take dermatology seriously. Your pet’s skin is a vital organ protecting all that lies beneath, and when a skin condition arises it can be a sign of, or lead to, serious internal issues.
Symptoms to Look For
Not all skin conditions can be seen. In fact, many serious skin conditions can only be discovered through the diagnostic tools at your veterinarian’s disposal. If your pet is exhibiting any of the following symptoms, please consider making an appointment:
- Incessant scratching or pawing in a centralized location or at the feet (chewing or licking at paws)
- Pawing at the ears
- Shaking his or her head
- Dragging his or her hind quarters along the floor
- Rubbing against furniture, walls, doorframes, and so on
- If your pet’s fur is matted or dirty, or exposed skin is showing signs of irritation
Getting to the Root of the Problem
These signs usually indicate that your pet is suffering from a skin condition, resulting from any number of factors, including:
- Allergic reactions to his or her environment or food
- Infections (typically of the ear) caused by bacteria, yeast, or fungus
- Fleas, ticks, or other insect bites
- Immune and other internal disorders
We Can Help
At Statesboro Bulloch Regional Veterinary Hospital, we will take the time to get to the root of your pet’s skin condition and create an individualized, multi-modal treatment plan that will ease the itching and resolve the issue at hand.
The services we provide when testing and treating dermatology issues include:
- Serum allergy testing and blood paneling
- Medical grooming
- Nutritional counseling
- Parasite screening and prevention
- Prescription medications
- Long-term problem solving for allergies
If your pet is suffering from a skin condition, please give us a call. Let us help your pet stop scratching.